Laketran’s Travel Training Program provides one-on-one instruction for any individual who would like to learn more about riding Laketran. Laketran’s outreach staff can schedule a time to meet with you in the comfort of your own home or you can schedule an appointment at Laketran. Trainings are available for groups such as classrooms, seniors groups, or youth groups. For more information contact Dale Wiechelman at 440-350-1067 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also download the Laketran’s Travel Training Brochure.
What Is Travel Training?
Travel training is a self-paced process where an individual or group, regardless of ability or age, can learn to ride the Laketran’s Local Routes, Dial-a-Ride or Park-n-Ride services.
Who Is Eligible For Travel Training?
Any individual who is 14 years of age or older. Under 18 years old requires consent of parent or caseworker. Travel Training for groups is open to all ages.
What Is The Travel Training Process?
A Travel Trainer can meet with you in your home or at Laketran to talk to you about Laketran services that will be fit your needs through goal planning. You will learn how to plan your trips, read bus schedules, and use online real-time tools.
Individuals who need assistance to learn the public transportation system can receive one or both of the following types of travel training:
- Destination-based Travel Training: This type of training teaches the individual to go to and from a specific destination, usually on a daily basis.
- General Travel Training. This type of training provides the individual with more complex instructions. The individual is taught to use the bus for general travel, selecting destinations of his/her choice.
Who Benefits From The Travel Training Program?
- Seniors, people with disabilities, and youth experience an increased sense of confidence and self-reliance as a result of learning to travel independently.
- For an individual preparing to finish school and enter job training, travel training is a helpful complement to any special education or transition curriculum. Success in this area often transfers to other endeavors in the person’s life.
- Parents and care providers can benefit, too. Providing a child or aging parent with the knowledge to use Laketran reduces the burden, time and expense of chauffeuring.
- The community benefits as well. With a newfound ability to travel Lake County, individuals will be able to find employment, shop more often, and participate in recreational activities to contribute to enhancing their quality of life.
Public transportation puts an end to isolation. In order to participate in our society you must be able to get out and about. Laketran offers the mobility to choose where you want to go.
Who Are The Instructors?
Travel Training instructors are skilled in assisting seniors or persons with developmental, mental health or behavioral disabilities. Instructors assist trainees in overcoming fears and building confidence so they can use the least restrictive mode of public transportation system to the fullest extent possible.
What Does The Travel Training Program Include?
- Route Training
- Trip Planning
- Street Crossing
- Emergency Skills
- Appropriate Social Behavior
- Safety Skills
The training program is self-paced. The trainer works with the participant to develop a training schedule that meets the individual’s needs.
Sign Up For Travel Training
Appointments or referrals can be made by contacting Dale Wiechelman at 440-650-1067 or email@example.com.